[slscripters] amount of generated touch events boosted?

[slscripters] amount of generated touch events boosted?

Tano Toll
Dear list,

I'm running into a slight backward compatibility issue on one of my scripts, that seem to be server related, just i can't seem to find any reference to it on https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum

What apparently has changed is the number of 'touch' events triggered, when a client is holding down the mouse button when touching an object. Before, this event was triggered maybe 5 times / second, or even less (3-5/s) under laggy conditions.

Recently, it seems it is triggered about every / or every other / server script frame, about (estimated) 20+ times / second.

While i'm happy to see an increased resolution, possibly helping games etc, and it's no big deal for me to adjust my scripts. But, i can't find any reference to it being changed - and i'm sure it'll affect other existing content as well, its not a 'minor' change imho. Will it be rolled back maybe, or is it here to stay? Wasnt' it a change at all, just lag? Should i change my scripts to do more sophisticated timekeeping? - just some random questions that puzzle my mind, anyone that can shine a light on it and/or observed the same?

I'm assuming it's not a client issue, as my client did not change last 2 weeks, and i was experiencing same behavior on several clients.

x TT

Re: [slscripters] amount of generated touch events boosted?

Stickman-2
> this event was triggered maybe 5 times / second, or even less (3-5/s) under
> laggy conditions.
>
> Recently, it seems it is triggered about every / or every other / server
> script frame, about (estimated) 20+ times / second.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Delay

According to the documentation, the old delay was 0.1 seconds (100ms)
per event, minimum. llMinEventDelay() could change this, but only make
the delay longer.

I doubt LL would intentionally change this, especially with so many
efforts to make things more efficient. If you're experiencing more
touch() events per second, this is probably a bug and should be
reported.

Is it specific to a server version or release channel?

Stickman

2012/6/5 Stickman <[hidden email]>
> this event was triggered maybe 5 times / second, or even less (3-5/s) under
> laggy conditions.
>
> Recently, it seems it is triggered about every / or every other / server
> script frame, about (estimated) 20+ times / second.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Delay

According to the documentation, the old delay was 0.1 seconds (100ms)
per event, minimum. llMinEventDelay() could change this, but only make
the delay longer.

I doubt LL would intentionally change this, especially with so many
efforts to make things more efficient. If you're experiencing more
touch() events per second, this is probably a bug and should be
reported.

Is it specific to a server version or release channel?

Stickman

With a simple script as listed below, i clocked it at almost exactly 20 events per second.
I seen this behavior on multiple sims: LeTigre 12.06.04.25 and Magnum 12.06.04.

--- simple test script ---
integer c;
default
{
    state_entry()
    {
        llSetTimerEvent (1.);
    }

    touch(integer n)
    {
        c++;
    }

    timer() {
        llSetText ((string)c,ZERO_VECTOR, 1.);
        c=0;
    }
}

Re: [slscripters] amount of generated touch events boosted?

Stickman-2
> With a simple script as listed below, i clocked it at almost exactly 20
> events per second.
> I seen this behavior on multiple sims: LeTigre 12.06.04.25 and Magnum
> 12.06.04.

Testing on Second Life Server 12.06.04.258754 (main release channel,
region Aggro) llSetText is showing 22 consistently. Assuming
llSetTimerEvent() is working right, that means about 0.05 seconds or
50ms per touch() event. Or, as you say, "every other frame." This
timing is aligned with the frequency that other events are allowed to
be triggered at.

So whenever this happened, it's at least a couple weeks old, if it's
on the main release channel.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7343

This appears to be the most likely culprit for this bug. Happened
around half a year ago.

I don't see much reason for this bug to be fixed, but it's not my
call. Kelly will see this eventually and decide what to do. If you
believe this is threatening, file a Jira. If you don't, just use
llMinEventDelay().

Stickman

Re: [slscripters] amount of generated touch events boosted?

Stickman-2
Sorry, forgot to mention.

I updated the delay wiki page to say touch() events are 0.05 seconds
now, so those visiting this thread later are aware it's been changed
from the previous value of 0.1.

Stickman

Re: [slscripters] amount of generated touch events boosted?

Tano Toll
2012/6/5 Stickman <[hidden email]>

So whenever this happened, it's at least a couple weeks old, if it's
on the main release channel.

That, i dare to doubt.. The first time i noticed this change was yesterday. Not coincidentally the release date of those server releases. I did not observe this behaviour before, and while i'm reluctant to make 'hard' statements about when this change was introduced, to me it seems unlikely the 'bug'/change occurred more than a week ago, and most likely, it occurred after yesterdays' restarts.

I'll adapt my code to a method that's immune for the exact rate though, that'd solve it :)

tx for info & helping out stickman,

TT

Re: [slscripters] amount of generated touch events boosted?

Montavious Peccable
That's the way to handle it.

I used to enjoy building Quake levels and playing against bots (because I was never good enough to play against humans), but as I upgraded to faster computers, the bots got to be too fast for any human to play against. From this I learned that software should never depend on the limitations of the processor or the rate of events out of its direct control to regulate its own speed. If there's conceivably any such thing as too fast, you have to have some kind of check to make sure you don't go there.

Monty