[slscripters] Script time allocaation for homestead regions

[slscripters] Script time allocaation for homestead regions

Fred Allandale

I have a customer who is using one of my products in a Homestead region.  The scripts are running at about 25-50% of the speed they run at on a full sim.  In the statistics bar, the Scripts Run parameter varies from 25-50%.  This would indicate that not all scripts are being run during each frame.  So far, not surprising given there are usually a lot of avi’s in the region.

The puzzling part is that the statistics bar is consistently showing about 15-16 ms of free time per frame.  Script time is about 4-5 ms and the other tasks (physics, etc.) total only about 1-2 ms.  So why aren’t all the scripts running given the free time per frame?  My theory is that for Homestead regions, the 22 ms frame is allocated 25% to each of the 4 Homestead regions sharing one CPU, actually allowing only 5.5 ms per frame to each region.

My questions are (a) is the above theory correct; (b) if so, is this a fixed allocation per region or is it dynamic depending on the needs of each region running on the same CPU?  If the latter, moving the region to a different CPU might help if the other regions sharing the same CPU are less busy.  If it is a fixed allocation, that probably won’t help.

Additional Info: Total active scripts are 3000-5000 (depending on number of avi’s), script Events per second are about  400.  Scripts Run percent is definitely related to number of avi’s in the sim, probably driven by the number of active scripts and avi update times.  It approaches 100% with only a few avi’s and 25-30% with 20 avi’s.

I’d appreciate input from anyone who understands better how frame times are allocated on Homestead regions.

Re: [slscripters] Script time allocaation for homestead regions

Dallas Denny
I suspect the spare time indicator is broken for homestead regions.
No matter how many scripts I put on my homestead it shows 15-16 ms of
free time.