[slscripters] Permission to read UUIDs

Ray Silent
Hello guys,

I'm trying to make a script work properly under following conditions:

An object is mesh and can't be given away with full permissions but
still a script residing in it should be able to read
diffuse/normal/specular map UUIDs located on its faces. It is
especially designed as a Model of a fully functional prim, that only
gives one ability to temp-texture it, then upload textrues and apply,
and then to transfer neccessary UUIDs to a destinayion copy-only
device without the need to enter them by hand (since there should be
like 10-15, it may become really tedious).

Is there any way to set some flags for the prim or whatever to make it
work like desired? Or any other way to accomplish this use case? Any
workaround? Can it be set by someone with God Mode? May be some hidden
internal parameter....

Cheers,
Ray

Re: [slscripters] Permission to read UUIDs

Darien Caldwell-2
Sadly, no.

It in fact did work that way, that you could read UUIDs of prims with less than full permissions, until some time in 2011. LL then suddenly changed it without warning and broke a couple of my products. I had used Reading the texture UUID to determine what texture set was currently applied to display correct options on my texturing HUD.

There frankly is no workaround. You'll have to keep track of what textures are applied internal to your script. Or by storing it in a prim parameter perhaps if you worry about the volatility of script variables. I for instance ended up storing what texture set was being used as a description on a child prim.

I can only assume LL had their reasons for removing this functionality, but it's just one more step down a long path they have taken to removing the flexibility needed to make great things in SL. It pains me every time they take one.

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 3:05 AM, Ray Silent <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Qie Niangao
If full-perm bitmap assets are in the object's contents as well as used to paint the faces, a script can get PRIM_TEXTURE, _NORMAL, and _SPECULAR to retrieve the corresponding names, and llGetInventoryKey() of those names. The object doesn't need to be full-perm to the owner, but the bitmap assets must be.

I'm guessing this won't be practical in this particular case, but the details aren't clear to me. (In particular, the bit about "temp-texture" suggests the whole concept may be confused.)