[slscripters] Obscure problem can freeze Viewer AND your computer.

[slscripters] Obscure problem can freeze Viewer AND your computer.

AnnMarie Otoole
Don't know if this needs a JIRA but it is very weird and not sure "what"
to report.

I've had problems with one sim for about 3 months that my automated
vehicles visit where the scripts run so slow the vehicles run off the
road into no-scrpt land where they get stuck.

If you teleport or fly to a certain location in this sim your viewer
will freeze and your WHOLE COMPUTER WILL LAG.
Go to the vicinity of Aragonese/136/173/103 and suspend your avatar
around 100m altitude.
My viewer FPS normally runs over 50 but after 10 to 20 seconds here it
will drop below 3.
Not only that but the whole computer will stall to a crawl.
If I minimize the viewer the computer is OK, restore the viewer and I
can't even type this email.

It is not consistent, sometimes it doesn't happen but you can make it
happen by rotating your avatar about 10 times at this location while
watching Viewer FPS.  On mine FPS varies from highs of around 55 to lows
of 12 on each rotation, presumably as more intense areas move in and out
of focus.  You are between furnished apartment buildings so it is an
"object intensive area".  When you stop rotating viewer FPS instead of
recovering to normal slowly drops to about 2.2 and sticks there.

At times the freeze extends beyond here.  You can walk into the sim on
the roadway - it freezes - walk out it thaws.  I'm assuming that my
vehicles are crashing on those occasions when the whole sim is affected.

Lindens say there is nothing wrong, sim is working fine.  Same problem
with Firestorm and SL Viewer.  Windows Task Manager shows no changes to
explain the computer freeze.   Of the thousands of sims my vehicles
traverse this is the only one I've found that has these symptoms.

AnnMarie Otoole

Re: [slscripters] Obscure problem can freeze Viewer AND your computer.

AnnMarie Otoole
Thanks for your help everyone.
Identified griefing objects that have no scripts but bring your graphics
card to a stand still and will kill it if you let the temperature get
too high.
4 visits by Lindens and they didn't find them!
Putting in an AR.

AnnMarie Otoole.

Re: [slscripters] Obscure problem can freeze Viewer AND your computer.

Skye Menjou
Yeah, I assume they where high surface area objects? Been seeing that more and more lately, using FS to protect me from them myself.

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 11:36 PM, AnnMarie Otoole <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your help everyone.
Identified griefing objects that have no scripts but bring your graphics
card to a stand still and will kill it if you let the temperature get
too high.
4 visits by Lindens and they didn't find them!
Putting in an AR.

AnnMarie Otoole.

Have a nice day,
Skye Menjou

Re: [slscripters] Obscure problem can freeze Viewer AND your computer.

Glen Canaday
What were they called? I wonder if I could find them through area search
if I were to run into that kind of thing.

(griefers don't always have the presence of mind to rename the objects
they appropriate)

--GC

On Sat, 2012-04-07 at 17:36 -0400, AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

> Thanks for your help everyone.
> Identified griefing objects that have no scripts but bring your graphics
> card to a stand still and will kill it if you let the temperature get
> too high.
> 4 visits by Lindens and they didn't find them!
> Putting in an AR.
>
> AnnMarie Otoole.

Re: [slscripters] Obscure problem can freeze Viewer AND your computer.

Skye Menjou
Sadly every time I encountered these they have different names.
They also often are attached to a griefer that's immune with either a text client or a client with the high area protection on.

On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM, glen <[hidden email]> wrote:
What were they called? I wonder if I could find them through area search
if I were to run into that kind of thing.

(griefers don't always have the presence of mind to rename the objects
they appropriate)

--GC

On Sat, 2012-04-07 at 17:36 -0400, AnnMarie Otoole wrote:
> Thanks for your help everyone.
> Identified griefing objects that have no scripts but bring your graphics
> card to a stand still and will kill it if you let the temperature get
> too high.
> 4 visits by Lindens and they didn't find them!
> Putting in an AR.
>
> AnnMarie Otoole.

Have a nice day,
Skye Menjou

Re: [slscripters] Obscure problem can freeze Viewer AND your computer.

AnnMarie Otoole
The objects are named-
hud by well derrubar tudo
They are owned by
avengercrazy
Created by
Syrinx Chronowire
Associated with group
Ugleh's Essentials
Previous Owner
вσσ (lailamel.noel)
192 prims, no scripts.
The individual prims look like 10 to 20m cubes with alternating thin
lines of alpha - like venetian blinds.
They are all stacked within close proximity. They are phantom and alpha.

AnnMarie Otoole

On 4/8/2012 12:24 PM, glen wrote:

> What were they called? I wonder if I could find them through area search
> if I were to run into that kind of thing.
>
> (griefers don't always have the presence of mind to rename the objects
> they appropriate)
>
> --GC
>
> On Sat, 2012-04-07 at 17:36 -0400, AnnMarie Otoole wrote:
>> Thanks for your help everyone.
>> Identified griefing objects that have no scripts but bring your graphics
>> card to a stand still and will kill it if you let the temperature get
>> too high.
>> 4 visits by Lindens and they didn't find them!
>> Putting in an AR.
>>
>> AnnMarie Otoole.

Re: [slscripters] Obscure problem can freeze Viewer AND your computer.

Glen Canaday
Weird. I wonder how people discover stuff like this. Like invisiprims,
for example.

--GC

On Sun, 2012-04-08 at 00:00 +0200, Skye Menjou wrote:

> Yeah, I assume they where high surface area objects? Been seeing that
> more and more lately, using FS to protect me from them myself.
>
> On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 11:36 PM, AnnMarie Otoole <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>         Thanks for your help everyone.
>         Identified griefing objects that have no scripts but bring
>         your graphics
>         card to a stand still and will kill it if you let the
>         temperature get
>         too high.
>         4 visits by Lindens and they didn't find them!
>         Putting in an AR.
>
>         AnnMarie Otoole.

> Have a nice day,
> Skye Menjou

[slscripters] Vector Q - not 100% LSL related but that's where I'll use it...

Glen Canaday
I have a math problem I can't wrap my brain around mostly due to having
eaten a big lunch:

I have object A, which represents me.
I have object B, which is a prim in SL.
I have the wind direction vector at A (me).

What I need to do is tell whether A (me) is upwind or downwind from B,
and if upwind, if I'm within a certain distance.

Basically, I wanna know if B can smell me or not.

I'm thinking that:

sniffing_point = A + (wind_vector * radius) // I think this is right

.. should give me a point within sniff radius of B:

if(llVecMag(sniff_point - B) > sniff_radius){ ...

But this seems to only give me whether A is within sniff_radius of B, in
any direction.

Can anyone help? My vector-fu is bad these days (I'm gettin' old....
been too long since college).

--GC

Re: [slscripters] Vector Q - not 100% LSL related but that's where I'll use it...

Craig Berry-3
Take the dot product of windDirection and the vector from the object
to you. If the result is greater than zero, you're downwind.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 14:11, glen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a math problem I can't wrap my brain around mostly due to having
> eaten a big lunch:
>
> I have object A, which represents me.
> I have object B, which is a prim in SL.
> I have the wind direction vector at A (me).
>
> What I need to do is tell whether A (me) is upwind or downwind from B,
> and if upwind, if I'm within a certain distance.
>
> Basically, I wanna know if B can smell me or not.
>
> I'm thinking that:
>
> sniffing_point = A + (wind_vector * radius) // I think this is right
>
> .. should give me a point within sniff radius of B:
>
> if(llVecMag(sniff_point - B) > sniff_radius){ ...
>
> But this seems to only give me whether A is within sniff_radius of B, in
> any direction.
>
> Can anyone help? My vector-fu is bad these days (I'm gettin' old....
> been too long since college).
>
> --GC

Craig Berry (http://gplus.to/isomeme)
"Every exit is an entrance somewhere else." - Tom Stoppard

Re: [slscripters] Vector Q - not 100% LSL related but that's where I'll use it...

Boroondas Gupte
Hi glen

On 04/12/2012 11:11 PM, glen wrote:
I have a math problem I can't wrap my brain around mostly due to having
eaten a big lunch:

I have object A, which represents me.
I have object B, which is a prim in SL.
I have the wind direction vector at A (me).

What I need to do is tell whether A (me) is upwind or downwind from B,
and if upwind, if I'm within a certain distance.
Distance (of A) from what? From B?

Also, how do you define upwind? Is everything either upwind or downwind or can it be neither, too?

Something like this might give you what you want:

bool A_is_upwind_to_B = (B - A) * wind_vector > 0;
bool A_is_close_enough_to_B = llVecDist(A, B) < d;

if (A_is_upwind_to_B && A_is_close_enough_to_B) {...
The condition of the "if" will be true if B is within a hemisphere of radius d directed downwind from A.

Basically, I wanna know if B can smell me or not.

I'm thinking that:

sniffing_point = A + (wind_vector * radius) // I think this is right
This would give you a point in downwind direction of A at distance "radius" from A.

.. should give me a point within sniff radius of B:

if(llVecMag(sniff_point - B) > sniff_radius){ ...
Shouldn't that be "<" instead of ">"? This will be true for all points B farther away (or with "<", closer) than "sniff_radius" from the point computed above. So the decision boundary will be a sphere centred on "sniffing_point".

But this seems to only give me whether A is within sniff_radius of B, in
any direction.
If either "wind_vector" or "radius" are small, "sniffing_point" will be close to A and the decision boundary might look very similar to a sphere around A. I suspect that's what you might have been observing here.

Can anyone help? My vector-fu is bad these days (I'm gettin' old....
been too long since college).
Much more interesting than the vector math would be to approximate a physically plausible solution for this question. You'd have to take both, fluid dynamical movement and diffusion into account. And that with wind that changes depending on location and time. (And this is where the math pops up again. Path integrals, anyone? Differential equations? We probably don't want to solve a combination of Navier-Stokes with the Heat-Equation in LSL.)

A feasible (and very simplistic) approximation might be to check whether B is in a downwind-directed cone with its "tip" (the apex) at A:

if (
    (llAngleBetween( B - A, wind_vector) < SOME_ANGLE) // Maybe SOME_ANGLE should depend on the magnitude of wind_vector ... but how?
    && (llVecDist(A, B) < d) // This cone doesn't have a flat base.
                             // If you want a flat base, use something like ((B-A) * wind_vector / llVecMag(wind_vector)) < d instead.
) { // ...
Cheers,
Boroondas

Re: [slscripters] Vector Q - not 100% LSL related but that's where I'll use it...

Montavious Peccable
If the wind is out of the north and the smeller is 20m east and 1m south of you, is he downwind? You might want to decide how far off of directly downwind he has to be in order to smell you, then use llsensor opposite the wind direction with the appropriate parameters. Anyone sensed is then in smelling range.

Rick

On Apr 12, 2012, at 5:11 PM, glen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a math problem I can't wrap my brain around mostly due to having
> eaten a big lunch:
>
> I have object A, which represents me.
> I have object B, which is a prim in SL.
> I have the wind direction vector at A (me).
>
> What I need to do is tell whether A (me) is upwind or downwind from B,
> and if upwind, if I'm within a certain distance.
>
> Basically, I wanna know if B can smell me or not.
>
> I'm thinking that:
>
> sniffing_point = A + (wind_vector * radius) // I think this is right
>
> .. should give me a point within sniff radius of B:
>
> if(llVecMag(sniff_point - B) > sniff_radius){ ...
>
> But this seems to only give me whether A is within sniff_radius of B, in
> any direction.
>
> Can anyone help? My vector-fu is bad these days (I'm gettin' old....
> been too long since college).
>
> --GC

Re: [slscripters] Vector Q - not 100% LSL related but that's where I'll use it...

Craig Berry-3
Actually, you can use dot product there , too, if you're willing to
fudge a little. Consider "downwind" to be a cone with its tip at the
smelly object; it spreads out in the downwind direction, just as real
scents do. Normalize both the vectors (object->you A and wind
direction B) to be of unit length. Then

  A dot B = cos T

where T is the angle between a straight downwind line and your
position. Solving for T gives

  T = acos(A dot B)

Set your cone angular radius limit, calculate acos(A dot B), and if
that's less than the desired angle limit, you're downwind.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 15:39, Montavious Peccable <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If the wind is out of the north and the smeller is 20m east and 1m south of you, is he downwind? You might want to decide how far off of directly downwind he has to be in order to smell you, then use llsensor opposite the wind direction with the appropriate parameters. Anyone sensed is then in smelling range.
>
> Rick
>
> On Apr 12, 2012, at 5:11 PM, glen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have a math problem I can't wrap my brain around mostly due to having
>> eaten a big lunch:
>>
>> I have object A, which represents me.
>> I have object B, which is a prim in SL.
>> I have the wind direction vector at A (me).
>>
>> What I need to do is tell whether A (me) is upwind or downwind from B,
>> and if upwind, if I'm within a certain distance.
>>
>> Basically, I wanna know if B can smell me or not.
>>
>> I'm thinking that:
>>
>> sniffing_point = A + (wind_vector * radius) // I think this is right
>>
>> .. should give me a point within sniff radius of B:
>>
>> if(llVecMag(sniff_point - B) > sniff_radius){ ...
>>
>> But this seems to only give me whether A is within sniff_radius of B, in
>> any direction.
>>
>> Can anyone help? My vector-fu is bad these days (I'm gettin' old....
>> been too long since college).
>>
>> --GC

Craig Berry (http://gplus.to/isomeme)
"Every exit is an entrance somewhere else." - Tom Stoppard

Re: [slscripters] Vector Q - not 100% LSL related but that's where I'lluse it...

Martin Fürholz
let vector A be the sniffer's position, vector B be the target position,
float Rmax be the maximum range), float Rmin the radius where sniffing is
always possible float Wfactor a factor to weigh wind influence (normal wind
strength, higher means higher wind effect)
then:
1)   vector C = B - A;       distance vector between A and B
2)   W = llWind (C)          wind at B
3)   float alpha = llAcos( C * W / llVecMag(C) / llVecMag(W)  )     angle
between W and C in radians, (0 = directly downwind, PI = directly opposite
4)   float Winf = llSqrt(llVecMag(W) / Wfactor)
5)   float Angleinf = llPow( ((PI - alpha) / PI) , 2.0 ) )
then a meaningful condition would be
if (
   llVecMag(C)  < (Rmin / Winf) +  (Rmax *Winf * Angleinf)
)  { issniffable = TRUE; }

Winf  increases Rmax distance with stronger winds, decreases Rmin influence
Angleinf    is a number between 0 and 1, describes elongated sniffing area
(actually similar to a cardioid)

{above message was from my friend Chieron Tenk)

Re: [slscripters] Vector Q - not 100% LSL related but that's where I'll use it...

Glen Canaday

> Much more interesting than the vector math would be to approximate a
> physically plausible solution for this question. You'd have to take
> both, fluid dynamical movement and diffusion into account. And that
> with wind that changes depending on location and time. (And this is
> where the math pops up again. Path integrals, anyone? Differential
> equations? We probably don't want to solve a combination of
> Navier-Stokes with the Heat-Equation in LSL.)

That, and I'm a real person who is not a mathematician and not going to
attempt this. I did calculus in college, passed, but just barely (good
luck having a job and marriage when you take those...)

On Fri, 2012-04-13 at 01:01 +0200, Martin Fürholz wrote:
let vector A be the sniffer's position, vector B be the target position,
> float Rmax be the maximum range), float Rmin the radius where sniffing
is
> always possible float Wfactor a factor to weigh wind influence (normal
wind
> strength, higher means higher wind effect)
> then:
> 1)   vector C = B - A;       distance vector between A and B
> 2)   W = llWind (C)          wind at B
> 3)   float alpha = llAcos( C * W / llVecMag(C) / llVecMag(W)  )
angle
> between W and C in radians, (0 = directly downwind, PI = directly
opposite

> 4)   float Winf = llSqrt(llVecMag(W) / Wfactor)
> 5)   float Angleinf = llPow( ((PI - alpha) / PI) , 2.0 ) )
> then a meaningful condition would be
> if (
>    llVecMag(C)  < (Rmin / Winf) +  (Rmax *Winf * Angleinf)
> )  { issniffable = TRUE; }
>

> Winf  increases Rmax distance with stronger winds, decreases Rmin
influence
> Angleinf    is a number between 0 and 1, describes elongated sniffing
area
> (actually similar to a cardioid)
>
> {above message was from my friend Chieron Tenk)

I'm gonna try this... looks like fun and factors in wind speed, but not
whether my av has bathed recently.  Realistic enough for SL, lawl.

--GC