[slscripters] New Inventory Send Rate Throttle?

[slscripters] New Inventory Send Rate Throttle?

Fred Allandale

I sell a mailing list kiosk that sends items such as newsletters and gifts to a list of subscribers.  This product has been fielded for several years, but this week a new problem was brought to my attention by two different long time users.  They got the following message when sending inventory items (using llGiveInventory) to a list of subscribers.  “"Second Life: Objects you own in <region name> have sent out excessive inventory and their offers have been temporarily deactivated. The last inventory offer sent was from <object name>.”  Neither had ever seen this message before and they have been using this system for over two years.  Is anyone aware of some new limits on inventory item send rates that has been changed in the past couple of weeks?  I am aware of the limit on llInstantMessage of 5000 per hour, but I am not aware of any similar limits on llGiveInventory, nor have I been able to locate any reference to send rate limits in the LSL Portal or JIRA.  I use multiple scripts to send items to the list of subscribers as rapidly as possible (a maximum rate of about 10 per second) and have never had it throttled before.  I’ve got about 1500 of these systems fielded so I am concerned that some recent SL change has broken them.

Re: [slscripters] New Inventory Send Rate Throttle?

Nexii Malthus-2
This is quite concerning considering I'm trying to start up my own products as well that may at uncommon times have to chew through sending mass product updates. At least I can very easily handle telling customers to simple shift-drag their servers to scale up their system to the load balancing mechanisms, but others may not be so fortunate.

It might be best if we bring this up on Monday at the simulator scripting user group --  https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Simulator_User_Group

- Nexii Malthus

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Fred Allandale <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Nexii.  I won’t be able to attend the user group but would be happy if you bring it up.  At this point, I’m not sure if it is unique to just a couple of my customers, or if there was some recent server change that is going to eventually affect more customers. I’ve only gotten two reports of this problem, but it started for both of them right after the last server update.  I’m not sure which server version they are running but I will try to find out. I can/will, of course, throttle my inventory send rate if necessary, but without knowing the rules, I don’t know how far to throttle it and I don’t want to slow down the sending any more than I have to.

-Fred

Re: [slscripters] New Inventory Send Rate Throttle?

Stickman-2
> It might be best if we bring this up on Monday at the simulator scripting
> user group --  https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Simulator_User_Group

Kelly shows up to the Friday server office hours at 4pm in Denby.
Sooner than Monday.

Can also try IMing him directly, Kelly Linden. But sending an email
would probably be best. [hidden email]

He does watch this mailing list, though. So he probably just hasn't
had time to reply yet.

Stickman

Re: [slscripters] New Inventory Send Rate Throttle?

Kadah

Re: [slscripters] New Inventory Send Rate Throttle?

Fred Allandale
FWIW, both reports of this problem were from Second Life RC Magnum
12.01.24.248357.  One of the customers tried it from a different sim (don't
know which sim version) and had no problems.

-Fred Allandale

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Fred Allandale <[hidden email]> wrote:
> FWIW, both reports of this problem were from Second Life RC Magnum
> 12.01.24.248357.  One of the customers tried it from a different sim (don't
> know which sim version) and had no problems.

Fred,

For what it's worth, that's worth a lot.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/12#12.01.24.248357

Nothing visible on the surface. Could try digging deeper into the
listed Jiras and see if they explain something more.

It's probably one of those invisible security fixes. They don't tell
you about them before they're live. And they don't tell you about them
afterwards, either. But if you point out that it breaks existing
content, they'll change the fix not to if they can.

Stickman

Re: [slscripters] New Inventory Send Rate Throttle?

Kadah

Re: [slscripters] New Inventory Send Rate Throttle?

Jack of Spades
Is it possible this is a manifestation of the grey goo fence?  The cube farmers griefing the public sandboxes have largely given up on self-replicating objects; this may be why.

http://lslwiki.net/lslwiki/wakka.php?wakka=GreyGooFence

--
Jack Abraham A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
jack.abraham Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

I opened a new JIRA bug report: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7631