[slscripters] Idle Sim snooze time.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[slscripters] Idle Sim snooze time.

AnnMarie Otoole
Still trying to evaluate the consequences of idle sims.
I'm losing vehicles but have not done enough analysis yet to know if
idle sims are definitely the cause.
My friend who runs the pods thinks she is losing pods due to taking
longer than the object-return time and has modified scripts to run
faster in idle sims.  However I'm reluctant to take that route because
unlike her waypoint system mine self navigate using parcel geometry and
if they go too fast the script can't catch physics engine problems
quickly enough.

I read somewhere that an http request turns sim idle off.  My vehicles
report into the data base on entering each sim.  I plan to add sim idle
status to my data reporting to help diagnosis.

Q1, Is it correct that the http wakes up an idle sim?
Q2. If it does, how long does it take before the sim goes back to sleep?
Q3. Does the object return time get extended in proportion to sleep
slow-down?
Q4. What other ways are there to keep a sim awake?

_______________________________________________
Click here to unsubscribe or manage your list subscription:
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/secondlifescripters
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [slscripters] Idle Sim snooze time.

AnnMarie Otoole
OK they always do get a response from the data base even if it is just
an "ack".
I guess I could set up some tests to determine if it wakes them up and
for how long, I was hoping Kelly may be on and could add some information.
It does appear I'm losing vehicles, average life has dropped from about
8 hours to 2.8.  I hate to increase http traffic just to keep the sim
alive, I'm already pushing my database server to the monthly traffic limits.
I think I also heard that script triggering a dataserver event will wake
it up.  That would be cleaner but I don't want to request them any
faster than I have to.

On 5/26/2012 2:16 PM, Qie Niangao wrote:
> I, too, thought the http thing would work, but I gather it's *receipt*
> of http traffic, not merely calling llHTTPRequest(), that actually
> awakens an idle sim for some interval. If that's correct, it's not
> enough that the wanderers phone home, but they must also at least get
> a response. (I'm assuming that http_response is sufficient, not
> requiring receipt of http_request events, but that's just an
> assumption I haven't tested.)

_______________________________________________
Click here to unsubscribe or manage your list subscription:
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/secondlifescripters
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [slscripters] Idle Sim snooze time.

Nox Ferocia
In reply to this post by AnnMarie Otoole
> Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 12:01:50 -0400
> From: AnnMarie Otoole <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [slscripters] Idle Sim snooze time.
>
[...]

> My friend who runs the pods thinks she is losing pods due to taking
> longer than the object-return time and has modified scripts to run
> faster in idle sims.  However I'm reluctant to take that route because
> unlike her waypoint system mine self navigate using parcel geometry and
> if they go too fast the script can't catch physics engine problems
> quickly enough.
>
> I read somewhere that an http request turns sim idle off.  My vehicles
> report into the data base on entering each sim.  I plan to add sim idle
> status to my data reporting to help diagnosis.
>
> Q1, Is it correct that the http wakes up an idle sim?
> Q2. If it does, how long does it take before the sim goes back to sleep?
> Q3. Does the object return time get extended in proportion to sleep
> slow-down?
> Q4. What other ways are there to keep a sim awake?

Somewhere in California, an LL employee is beating their head against
their desk...

 - Void
_______________________________________________
Click here to unsubscribe or manage your list subscription:
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/secondlifescripters
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [slscripters] Idle Sim snooze time.

Montavious Peccable
In reply to this post by AnnMarie Otoole
Couldn't you use an in-world object to receive and respond to http requests?

Monty

On May 27, 2012, at 1:29 AM, AnnMarie Otoole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK they always do get a response from the data base even if it is just
> an "ack".
> I guess I could set up some tests to determine if it wakes them up and
> for how long, I was hoping Kelly may be on and could add some information.
> It does appear I'm losing vehicles, average life has dropped from about
> 8 hours to 2.8.  I hate to increase http traffic just to keep the sim
> alive, I'm already pushing my database server to the monthly traffic limits.
> I think I also heard that script triggering a dataserver event will wake
> it up.  That would be cleaner but I don't want to request them any
> faster than I have to.
>
> On 5/26/2012 2:16 PM, Qie Niangao wrote:
>> I, too, thought the http thing would work, but I gather it's *receipt*
>> of http traffic, not merely calling llHTTPRequest(), that actually
>> awakens an idle sim for some interval. If that's correct, it's not
>> enough that the wanderers phone home, but they must also at least get
>> a response. (I'm assuming that http_response is sufficient, not
>> requiring receipt of http_request events, but that's just an
>> assumption I haven't tested.)
>
> _______________________________________________
> Click here to unsubscribe or manage your list subscription:
> https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/secondlifescripters
_______________________________________________
Click here to unsubscribe or manage your list subscription:
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/secondlifescripters
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [slscripters] Idle Sim snooze time.

Bunny Halberd-2
In reply to this post by AnnMarie Otoole
On 5/26/2012 11:01 AM, AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

> Q4. What other ways are there to keep a sim awake?

Forgive me if I'm being dense here, but why on earth would you want to
purposely defeat a feature that's designed to make the in-world
experience better for sims with actual people in it?

Reducing wasteful use of CPU power on idle sims means more CPU power for
populated ones...?

- Bunny
_______________________________________________
Click here to unsubscribe or manage your list subscription:
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/secondlifescripters
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [slscripters] Idle Sim snooze time.

Marine Kelley
There are plenty of cases where you want your sim to stay constantly
at top running speed. For example when it is used to host in-world
servers (for sales and such), or any other device that must track time
precisely. My opinion is that switching to idle time should be an
opt-in action and not an opt-out one (assuming we actually have means
to avoid idle time. We pay for our sims, and I'm not sure the fee
itself goes to idle time when a sim does.

On 28/05/2012, Bunny Halberd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/26/2012 11:01 AM, AnnMarie Otoole wrote:
>
>> Q4. What other ways are there to keep a sim awake?
>
> Forgive me if I'm being dense here, but why on earth would you want to
> purposely defeat a feature that's designed to make the in-world
> experience better for sims with actual people in it?
>
> Reducing wasteful use of CPU power on idle sims means more CPU power for
> populated ones...?
>
> - Bunny
> _______________________________________________
> Click here to unsubscribe or manage your list subscription:
> https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/secondlifescripters
>
_______________________________________________
Click here to unsubscribe or manage your list subscription:
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/secondlifescripters
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [slscripters] Idle Sim snooze time.

Tano Toll
In reply to this post by Bunny Halberd-2
Hi,


> Forgive me if I'm being dense here, but why on earth would you want to purposely defeat a feature that's
> designed to make the in-world experience better for sims with actual people in it?

This is a delicate question. Do owners of a quiet sim pay less? No, they pay the same as owners of a busy sim. So, are entitled to the same quality of service - since, they payed for it, whether they 'use' it or not.

There may be valid reasons to leave a sim empty - server parks were already mentioned, others just want to build or script without being hindered by the slightest touch of lag, and are willing to pay for that.

And, while i sympathize to the idea of better resource balancing, if there is the _slightest_ risk of decreased stability or disrupted service, then LL made (imho) the wrong decision. The service was payed for, and by not delivering the 'full' service LL actually deceives the client.

The correct option would have been: optional. Quiet sims could choose to (example) reduce avatar limit, and share resources, in exchange a fair discount. Or, the other way around: busy sims could pay for extra server resources.

There's no reason why owners of quiet sims would have to sponsor busy sims... From a server management point of view i could agree, from a customer point of view its plain wrong.

*2 cents*

TT


2012/5/28 Bunny Halberd <[hidden email]>
On 5/26/2012 11:01 AM, AnnMarie Otoole wrote:

> Q4. What other ways are there to keep a sim awake?

Forgive me if I'm being dense here, but why on earth would you want to
purposely defeat a feature that's designed to make the in-world
experience better for sims with actual people in it?

Reducing wasteful use of CPU power on idle sims means more CPU power for
populated ones...?

- Bunny
_______________________________________________
Click here to unsubscribe or manage your list subscription:
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/secondlifescripters


_______________________________________________
Click here to unsubscribe or manage your list subscription:
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/secondlifescripters
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [slscripters] Idle Sim snooze time.

SL Scripting
In reply to this post by AnnMarie Otoole

I'm largely ignorant on sim idling as I only learnt about it in these recent posts although it seems it could affect the things we make and run in our sims.

Regarding a sim going to idle, I can understand both views here: trying to get the best performance for populated sims against "empty" sims that are paid for and whose owners most likely expect permanent sim functioning.

For me, SL is supposed to be a persistent world so even when no one is there, the world keeps developing, whether it be meegroos breeding or plants growing. Without persistency it loses such a lot and becomes more like a game.


Perhaps if sims had an option to turn idling on and reduce the computation loads to minimum then some owners would choose this option, especially if their tier was reduced for having a such static sim.  I also think idling should be opt-in insted of opt-out.

I always thought SL was a persistent world and hope it remains so.

_______________________________________________
Click here to unsubscribe or manage your list subscription:
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/secondlifescripters
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [slscripters] Idle Sim snooze time.

Stickman-2
In reply to this post by Tano Toll
While many seem to have strong opinions on this topic, I would
recommend we discuss the "why" in the forum, which already has a lot
of back and forth about this, and keep the mailing list for the actual
scripting questions.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Region-Idling-FAQ/td-p/1535497
http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Region-Idling-coming-to-Second-Life/td-p/1535485

Thank you.

Stickman
_______________________________________________
Click here to unsubscribe or manage your list subscription:
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/secondlifescripters